Wednesday, November 24, 2010

No Owls Allowed in ‘God’s’ House

It seems that a family of barn owls have taken up residence in a local church. Church “leaders” want the owls moved. They complained that the owls were “swooping down on people.” A wildlife expert was called in and claimed the owls to be “federally protected.”

First off, as a firm believer in property rights, the church has the inherent right to dispose of the owls as they wish. I’m certain no one wishes to kill them, but moving them would certainly be reasonable. No level of state busybodies has any legitimate authority to tell or order how the church manages the problem.

That said, I find it sadly comical, that such wonderful representations of God’s creation are rejected for such a minor inconvenience. What a grand opportunity for church goers to directly observe and experience such an intriguing creature. Yes, rats and roaches are God’s creation as well, but they can be easily controlled and don’t offer the unique, rare opportunity the owls offer.

Being “swooped” down upon by an owl seems likes a nice break from the typical sterile, suburban life experience, not to mention the plastic, choreographed “worship experience” that occurs within the church’s walls. Just one glimpse of these owls flying must provide more spiritual value than any large, climate controlled, Sunday morning worship extravaganza sporting sophisticated light shows and amplified music.

Some years back I quit going to any Sunday services. Instead I would take long, brisk walks through a 400 acre park I lived near. During the walk, my mind clear of any artificial distractions, I would meditate on a variety of subjects. Just one morning out there, filling my lungs with fresh air, feeling the warm sun on my neck, and viewing and listening to the wonders of creation gave me more spiritual awareness, inspiration, and even enlightenment than a year’s worth of church services. I know some prefer a bricks and mortar church service for the experience of communal worship. This never appealed to me, though I surely tried to appreciate such an experience. I just got nothing from it. What better way to appreciate and glorify God’s creation, I thought, than to spend time out experiencing it. No, I don’t worship that creation as a pagan would, but I do gather much inspiration from it. My mind was also crystal clear, free, and fertile to work out life’s problems and mysteries.

Church institutions and church buildings are artificial constructs that have no relation to the reality of Creation. They are mere decoration. These glorious owls represent reality, the flesh and blood creation displaying the magnificent miracle of life.

Go to any church service and what do you get- a self-professed gate keeper who claims to “understand” the words of Christ and the ability to “interpret” his words. I’m sorry but I can read quite well, and can certainly understand the wisdom and clear message His words proclaim. Those who “interpret” tend to interject their own philosophies to serve their own agendas. Even Paul, a member of the first generation church, was guilty of this.

Certainly, the noise and actions of God’s beautiful creatures are much more interesting and inspiring than the nonsense and blather that emanates from the pulpit.

2 comments:

Don said...

Hey Roger, you make a great point here. I agree completely. Church services meant a lot to me when I first became a Christian, but then they become such a drag, boring, just going through the motions, as unspiritual as could be. Like you, I feel much closer to God when talking a walk in nature.

Enlightened Rogue said...

Don- Glad to hear I'm not a lone nut walking through the woods.